Insurance BLOG and Videos
Get Free Quotes
Blue Medicare Supplement (SM)
Blue Advantage® Plans
DentalBlue® for Seniors, Individuals & Families
Blue Advantage Saver(SM) Plans
Blue Options HSA(SM) Plans
Short Term Medical
Short Term Medical Insurance Plan
Peace of mind
If you are looking for a flexible plan that covers you for a short time period, and offers you protection against unexpected health care expenses, consider Assurant Health -- Short Term Medical.
The Assurant Health Short Term Medical plan is low cost health insurance. Short Term Health Medical offers a package of benefits similar in many ways to the standard health care plans, so, you can still have the feeling of security and stability you are used to with your health care coverage. Additionally, you decide how long you'll need the coverage -- 30 days to 6 months, or 12 months.
- Temporary health coverage options up to 12 months
- Protect yourself against unexpected health care expenses
- Every Short Term Medical plan includes a prescription drug card at no additional cost
- Order the plan that fits your time requirement
Common usage of Short term Medical Plan
Since almost immediate coverage (if qualified) is available, this Assurant Health short term medical plan is well suited to providing coverage while a permanent coverage application is pending or in underwriting.
This is not for those who can continue their current coverage or who have a group conversion privilege such as COBRA or State Continuation. If you purchase a short term medical plan you will not be eligible for any guaranteed issue individual health plans. These plans are commonly referred to as HIPAA plans. HIPAA plans are commonly used by people with pre-existing conditions who are having trouble getting insured by an individual medical plan. If you wish to maintain your eligibility for a HIPAA plan, then, you should not purchase this short term plan.
- Are you no longer covered by your parent's plan?
- Do you find yourself between jobs?
- Are you on a tight budget?
- Working a temporary or part-time job?
- Is your permanent coverage application pending or in underwriting?
Choose the deductible that's right for you
Assurant Health Short Term Medical Plan offers a choice of deductibles: $250, $500 $1,000 or $2,500. After meeting your deductible, Short Term Health Care plan will pay your choice of 100/0%, 80/20% or 50/50%.
You and your dependents are eligible for Assurant Health Short Term Medical Coverage if you are residents of North Carolina under the age of 64 and 11 months who are not covered by other health insurance including Medicare or Medicaid. Children are eligible through age 18 or through age 24 if full-time student.
- North Carolina resident? You could be eligible for Short Term Health Care
- Coverage from the #1 health care brand in America
Rapid application processing
You can choose any date within 30 days of signing the application to be your effective coverage date.
- Effective date you requested or:
- Coverage as early as the day after your application is postmarked*
- No later than 30 days from the signature date
Short Term Medical insurance is designed to protect you and your family from the high cost of unexpected illnesses and injuries.
Our temporary medical insurance plans let you choose your own doctors and hospitals and pay for all covered medical expenses once your deductible, coinsurance and, where applicable, co-payment amounts have been met.
Short Term Medical insurance covers major hospital, medical and surgical expenses incurred as a result of medically necessary care for a covered illness or injury* up to a policy maximum of $2 million.
- Prescription drugs
- Inpatient hospital services
- Outpatient hospital services
- Health care practitioner services, surgical and anesthesia services
- Reconstructive surgery
- Inpatient rehabilitation programs
- Skilled nursing facility care
- Home health care
- Outpatient physical medicine services
- Ambulance services
- X-ray and laboratory services
- Durable medical equipment and supplies
- Blood product transfusions
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) or craniomandibular joint dysfunction
- Transplantation benefits
Short Term Medical insurance is designed to protect you in the event of an unexpected illness or injury. Because of this, coverage for preventive care, physicals immunizations, dental or eye care are not covered.
While policies vary by state, the following general summary outlines expenses that are not covered by this temporary health insurance plan.
- Pre-existing conditions
- Intentionally self inflicted sickness or injury
- Free services provided by a federal, veteran's, state or municipal hospital
- Dental treatment unless a hospital stay is required
- Eyeglasses, contact lenses, eye exams
- Artificial hearing devices
- Preventive treatment including routine physical exams and immunizations
- Normal pregnancy or childbirth
- Routine well-baby care including hospital nursery charges at birth or abortion
- Cosmetic treatment
- Treatment, repair or removal of tonsils or adenoids, except as an emergency
- Treatment or services required due to an injury received while engaging in any hazardous occupation or other hazardous activity
- Treatment or services required due to injury received while engaging in any hazardous occupation or other activity for which compensation is received
- Treatment or services required due to injury sustained while participating in any interscholastic or inter-collegiate sport, contest or competition or while practicing exercising, undergoing conditioning or physical preparation for any such sport, contest or competition
- Treatment or services required for Sickness or Injury resulting from consumption abuse or overdose of alcoholic beverages or any illegal or controlled substance
- Expenses incurred outside of the United States or its possessions or Canada
- Services or supplies for foot care, including care of corns, bunions or calluses